The government’s estate plan is called Intestacy and your assets will be distributed under State law. These statutes almost never match how you would have divided your assets yourself. Documents to appoint an Administrator must be filed with the Probate Court and their approval must be obtained.

The court will appoint guardians for your minor children. The probate court may appoint a conservator to make decisions about your medical care if you are unable to do so. Without a valid plan all decisions about your estate will have to be approved through the probate court system.